Gulf carriers re-routing to avoid northern Iraqi airspace
Dubai: Airlines in the Gulf region are becoming increasingly cautious of the security situation in strife-torn Iraq and are re-routing their flights to maintain a safe distance from the troubled zone.
Bahrain`s national carrier, Gulf Air, has announced the re-routing of its European flights to avoid northern Iraqi airspace, as the airline takes further precautions amid growing concerns over the deteriorating security situation.
The airline`s European flights, which are the only flights to operate over northern Iraqi airspace, will be re-routed effective immediately using alternate, more secure flight paths.
This change will apply until further information becomes available as the national carrier continues to monitor the situation closely.
Gulf Air`s existing Iraq operations (3 weekly flights to the Iraqi capital Baghdad and daily flights to Al-Najaf) are being reviewed on a day-to-day basis in advance of operations.
At the moment, flights between Bahrain and the two Iraqi cities continue as normal although Bahrain`s national carrier is taking the necessary precautions while working closely with government and air traffic control authorities in Iraq to prepare for all eventualities.
On Thursday, Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways suspended all flights to Erbil, Iraq with immediate effect.
"The decision to suspend the four flights a week passenger service follows advice regarding the possibility of a deteriorating security situation in the region as a result of on-going military conflict between Iraqi security and ISIS forces," the airline said.
Days later, the airline said it will re-route its flights to avoid conflict airspace in Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today
- There was no intention to show disrespect to Stalin or DMK, clarifies Jayalalithaa
- Air ambulance crash lands in Delhi: This is how the pilot saved lives of passengers
- Uttarakhand Class 10 Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uk Board Class 10th Result 2016, Uttarakhand Board Class 10th X Result 2016, UBSE 10th Class Result to be announced today at 11 am
- Govt's solution for bad loans: Merge state-owned banks to 6 from 27