Gunmen storm Nigerian jail, 127 prisoners escape
Abuja: Unidentified gunmen stormed a prison in Ganye city in Nigeria`s northern state of Adamawa and freed 127 prisoners, police said on Sunday.
The prison assault was part of coordinated attacks by unidentified men armed with machine guns, bombs and rocket-propelled grenades that killed at least 25 people in northern Nigeria late Friday.
Police said that the targets of the attacks were a tavern, a bank, a police station and the prison at Ganye town in Adamawa state.
A police officer and a comptroller of prisons were shot dead before the attackers were able to liberate the prisoners at the jail, the state police spokesman Mohammed Ibrahim said.
"The policemen sent to the scene were overwhelmed by the gunmen before the 127 prisoners were set free from Ganye prisons" he said.
Ibrahim said none of the gunmen were arrested though the police was doing everything possible to nab the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cheat days? John Abraham’s words will give you serious fitness goals – Read more
- Govt lists GST Bill for consideration and passage in Rajya Sabha's agenda for next week
- Kasol - Rejuvenate yourself with serenity, peace in the nature's lap
- Gurgaon waterlogging: This is how Twitterati reacted after traffic choked Gurugram
- Bridge collapses in Nepal due to flooding – watch dramatic video