Gunmen storm Nigerian jail, 127 prisoners escape
Abuja: Unidentified gunmen stormed a prison in Ganye city in Nigeria`s northern state of Adamawa and freed 127 prisoners, police said on Sunday.
The prison assault was part of coordinated attacks by unidentified men armed with machine guns, bombs and rocket-propelled grenades that killed at least 25 people in northern Nigeria late Friday.
Police said that the targets of the attacks were a tavern, a bank, a police station and the prison at Ganye town in Adamawa state.
A police officer and a comptroller of prisons were shot dead before the attackers were able to liberate the prisoners at the jail, the state police spokesman Mohammed Ibrahim said.
"The policemen sent to the scene were overwhelmed by the gunmen before the 127 prisoners were set free from Ganye prisons" he said.
Ibrahim said none of the gunmen were arrested though the police was doing everything possible to nab the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back