Gunmen storm Nigerian jail, 127 prisoners escape
Abuja: Unidentified gunmen stormed a prison in Ganye city in Nigeria`s northern state of Adamawa and freed 127 prisoners, police said on Sunday.
The prison assault was part of coordinated attacks by unidentified men armed with machine guns, bombs and rocket-propelled grenades that killed at least 25 people in northern Nigeria late Friday.
Police said that the targets of the attacks were a tavern, a bank, a police station and the prison at Ganye town in Adamawa state.
A police officer and a comptroller of prisons were shot dead before the attackers were able to liberate the prisoners at the jail, the state police spokesman Mohammed Ibrahim said.
"The policemen sent to the scene were overwhelmed by the gunmen before the 127 prisoners were set free from Ganye prisons" he said.
Ibrahim said none of the gunmen were arrested though the police was doing everything possible to nab the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam