Gunshots fired near White House; suspect at large
Washington: Gunshots were heard on a street
near the White House on Saturday following which a loaded AK-47 was
recovered from an abandoned Honda sedan car near the Roosevelt Bridge but the suspect remained at
US President Barack Obama is out of town. He is currently
in California on his way to Hawaii to attend the APEC Summit while Vice President Joseph R Biden Jr is in New York for Veterans Day observances.
The US Secret Service said the security of the White
House was not compromised and it was not in danger.
"We received a call of shots fired near 16th Street and
Constitution Avenue, which is between the White House and the
Washington Monument, at about 9:30 pm" last night (8:00 am IST
today), US Park Police spokesman Sgt David Schlosser said.
Police are looking for bullet holes, he said, adding they
have not yet confirmed that shots were actually fired.
There has been no report of any injury so far, Schlosser
said, adding the suspect was last seen running across 23rd
street and Roosevelt Bridge in Washington DC, several blocks
away from the White House.
"A rifle was recovered" from an abandoned mid-size car
which has been taken into custody, Schlosser said.
A Secret Service spokesman said the rifle was AK-47.
"Not found anybody attached to it," Schlosser said, when
asked if any arrest has been made so far.
"An AK-47 was recovered," US Secret Service spokesman
Edwin Donova said, adding that no arrest has been made so
The Secret Service also ruled out any breach in the
White House security as the incident occurred outside its
"It was outside... So no question of (security breach),"
the spokesman said, adding it was not a terrorist incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you