Half of Russians favour ban on adoptions by US: Poll
Moscow: Fifty percent of respondents in a nationwide poll are in favour of the recently introduced law banning child adoptions by Americans.
The Levada Center pollster said Wednesday 31 percent of respondents oppose the new legislation.
The poll, conducted Jan 18-21, also found that 39 percent of respondents have nothing against adoptions of Russian children by families from the US and Europe.
However, they said the government must closely monitor and control the lives of adopted children in their new families.
Twenty-two percent of respondents said Americans and Europeans may be allowed to adopt Russian children only in extraordinary situations, such as in cases of grave illnesses.
The results of the poll, which included some 1,600 respondents across Russia, contradict an earlier January survey by state-run VTsIOM pollster, which also questioned some 1,600 respondents.
The VTsIOM survey said 76 percent of Russian respondents believed Americans must be barred from adopting Russian children, while 53 percent thought the ban should apply to any foreign national.
Russia`s controversial ban on US adoptions came into force Jan 1 as part of a wider response to Washington`s approval of the so-called Magnitsky Act, which introduces sanctions against Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what