Hamas chief Khaled Mashaal won`t seek new term
Gaza City: Hamas chief Khaled Mashaal won`t seek re-election, said the Palestinian Islamic militant group in a statement on Saturday.
The move opens the group to a leadership struggle, as it is not immediately clear who could succeed the charismatic, widely respected Mashaal.
It contributes to political turbulence within Hamas, which has recently faced a slew of criticism for continuing to be based in Damascus as the Syrian government violently cracks down on demonstrators throughout the country.
In the statement from Hamas` official e-mail account, the Palestinian group urged him to reconsider his decision, saying the issue of who leads the decades-old militant movement should be left to Hamas. The group says the decision shouldn`t be made by one person — even its leader.
"The movement urges (Mashaal) to reconsider, and to leave this issue to the Shura Council, with full respect to his wishes (not to run again), considering this is a public matter that the Hamas institutions should decide, and not an individual person," the statement said. The Shura Council is the top-level body in Hamas that elects its leadership.
It is not clear when new elections might be held.
Mashaal, who is based in Damascus, was not immediately available for comment.
Senior Hamas official Ezzat Risheq confirmed the statement from his Damascus office. He too, urged Mashaal to reconsider.
The militant group Hamas is committed to Israel`s destruction and has killed hundreds of Israelis in militant attacks that have included shootings and suicide bombings.
Since 2006 the group has ruled the Gaza Strip, a sliver of territory wedged between Egypt`s Sinai desert and Israel. It is also a rival of the internationally recognized Palestinian Authority which rules the West Bank, a territory that flanks the other side of Israel.
Hamas` leadership is based in Damascus for their security. Mashaal`s two predecessors — Abdel-Aziz al-Rantisi and the elderly Sheik Ahmed Yassin — were both assassinated by Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued