Hamas, Islamic Jihad debate joining forces
Gaza City: Hamas and Islamic Jihad, the main
Palestinian Islamist movements, are holding talks about
merging their two factions, sources on both sides said today.
During a meeting with top officials from Islamic Jihad,
Gaza`s Hamas prime minister Ismail Haniya called for "opening
a serious dialogue to achieve the merger of the two
movements," his office said in a statement.
Islamic Jihad confirmed that talks to merge the two
factions were already under way.
"An in-depth dialogue has actually begun, both internally
and externally, with the aim of uniting," spokesman Daud
Shihab said, referring to the group`s leadership which,
like Hamas, is based in both Gaza and Damascus.
All previous attempts to merge the two Islamist movements
had ended in failure, Shihab said.
He indicated that the current talks were taking place "at
the highest level" among the leaders of both factions in Gaza
and Damascus as well as among Islamist prisoners being held in
Uniting the two movements would be "in the interests of
both the Palestinian cause and the future of the Palestinian
liberation movement, particularly in light of the Arab
Spring," he said.
It was the first time Hamas and Jihad have spoken
publicly about merging.
The two factions have long held opposing views on
government, with Jihad boycotting the last Palestinian
elections in 2006 that were won by Hamas.(AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla