Hindu temple demolished in Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur: A Hindu temple was demolished in Malaysia`s opposition-ruled Selongor state on Thursday, prompting an angry reaction from the ethnic Indian political party Malaysian Indian Congress which termed it as an act of "treachery" against the minority community.
"The Selangor (state) government has committed treachery to the Hindu community by not stopping the demolition of the temple," party president Samy Vellu said commenting on the demolition of the Mathurai Veeran Temple in the Shah Alam neighbourhood, which saw protests last month by some Muslim residents who were against the relocation of a Hindu temple to the area.
Vellu noted that this was not the first incident as another shrine, the Sri Maha Kaliamman Temple, in the state had been demolished in September last year.
The MIC president said despite an appeal by the Mathurai Veeran temple committee in March this year to the February notice sent by the Shah Alam Municipal Council (MPSA), the temple was still demolished without an alternative land.
He said there were no discussions with the temple committee and no recent notices given by the municipal council.
"They just went and demolished it", he said in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan