Homeless couple return $10K found on Brazil street
Rio de Janeiro: A homeless couple turned over to police a bag containing about 20,000 reais ($10,000) that they found abandoned on a street in Brazil`s largest city, authorities said.
The couple, who have been living together for about four months under a bridge in eastern Sao Paulo and support themselves by selling recyclable trash, approached a security guard in the early hours Sunday and asked him to call the police to report the find.
The couple said that they were sleeping when they heard an alarm, apparently from a nearby shop, and looked out to see what was happening.
They saw the bag with the money lying near a bus stop on a main thoroughfare in the eastern part of the city.
Rejaniel Silva Santos, 36, said that the first thing he thought about when he saw all the money in the bag was to call the police.
The man, who earns about 15 reais ($7.50) per day for recycling trash, said that the only thing he wants is for his mother, who lives in the northern state of Maranhao, to see him on television.
"My mother taught me that I must not steal and to tell the police if I see anyone doing anything (illegal). If she sees me on TV there in Maranhao she`ll know that her son is still one of the honest people in the world," he said.
Police said that besides the money, inside the bag were checks and receipts that enabled them to determine that it was money stolen last week from a Japanese restaurant.
Santos said that he came to Sao Paulo 16 years ago from Maranhao to work in civil construction and decided to live on the street after losing his job and separating from his then-wife, with whom he had a son.
He met his current partner, Sandra Reina Domingues, with whom he has been living for about four months, on the street.
The police officers who responded to the man`s call said that they had never dealt with a similar case and admitted that they were perplexed when Santos showed them the money and explained the situation to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah