Huge truck explosion in Nigeria`s restive northeast
Maiduguri: A truck exploded in a huge fireball in the northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri on Tuesday when explosives concealed among its cargo of charcoal were detonated, according to witnesses and a brief online statement from the Defence Ministry.
"A van loaded with charcoal and IED exploded at Monday Market in Maiduguri this morning. The location has been cordoned," the Twitter account of the defence minister`s office announced.
The truck exploded at the largest roundabout in Maiduguri, the capital and the largest city of Borno state, during the morning rush hour at 7:50 am (0650 GMT), according to an AFP correspondent on the scene in the immediate aftermath.
There was no immediate information available about whether there had been casualties.
There was also no claim of responsibility for the attack, although Borno state and Maiduguri itself have been repeatedly targeted in an escalating insurgency by Islamist Boko Haram militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video