Imprisoned Tymoshenko makes video appeal
Kiev: Ukraine`s jailed former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko urged her country on Saturday to defeat President Viktor Yanukovych`s party in next month`s parliamentary election.
In an emotional video appeal, Tymoshenko accused Yanukovych of turning Ukraine into a "police state."
Her lawyer says the video, filmed yesterday, was recorded by him on a cellphone in a hospital where she is receiving treatment for back pain. It was the first such video since the former prime minister was jailed over a year ago on charges of abusing her office during natural gas import negotiations with Russia in 2009.
The West has condemned her imprisonment as politically motivated and the European Union has put on hold a key cooperation deal with Kiev over Tymoshenko`s jailing.
Tymoshenko, 51, the country`s top opposition leader, denies all the charges against her, and accuses Yanukovych of throwing her in jail to bar her from the contesting the Oct. 28 election.
In the video, Tymoshenko urges Ukrainians to support her party in the vote and end what she called Yanukovych`s "criminal" rule.
"Today, unfortunately, the whole country lives under a criminal authority," said a pale-looking Tymoshenko, wearing a white shirt, her hair combed into a long blond braid.
Yanukovych`s Party of Regions hopes to maintain its parliamentary majority, but will struggle to do so in the face of an opposition re-energized by Tymoshenko`s jailing. The next presidential election is in 2015.
Yanukovych`s office declined to comment on the video.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'