Indictment of Israel`s FM Lieberman recommended
Jerusalem: In a major setback to Prime
Minister Benjamin Netanyahu`s government, Israel`s National
Fraud Squad has recommended the indictment of Foreign Minister
Avigdor Lieberman on several charges, including graft and
However, the ultra-nationalist leader denied any
wrongdoing and claimed the police investigation was
The National Fraud Unit also alleged that Lieberman
attempted to obstruct the investigation and badgered a witness
for which it plans to add charges of obstruction of justice
and witness harassment in any future indictment.
The head of the police investigations and Intelligence
unit, Commander Yoav Segalovich, today submitted the results
of investigations and police`s recommendations to the Attorney
General`s Office for further review.
Lieberman, who emerged the kingmaker in February polls
on a right-wing agenda directed towards Israel`s Arab
population, said: "I have been persecuted by the police for
the past 13 years."
"The more political power Yisrael Beiteinu (his
political party) and I gain the worse the attempts to force me
out of public life get. There was never any reason to launch
an investigation in the first place," he said in the
Last month police wrapped up a decade-long criminal
investigation into Lieberman, who according to local media is
suspected of receiving illegal donations through bank accounts
opened by his daughter in Cyprus.
It is not yet known whether Lieberman will withdraw
his party`s support to the Netanyahu led government, but such
a move will lead to a major political crisis with no potential
coalition partner among the opposition ranks in sight.
Normally seen as a one man party, Lieberman`s hostile
agenda against the Arab population calling for "No Loyalty,
NoCitizenship" had a strong impact on Israel`s young
population in the aftermath of the Gaza war bringing Yisrael
Beteinu 17 Knesset seats.
Lieberman has been the focus of several police
investigations since the late 1990s, including alleged
campaign financing infractions and receiving illegal funds
from business tycoon, Martin Schlaf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow