Indonesia downgrades ties with Australia
Melbourne: Indonesia on Wednesday downgraded its relations with Australia over spying allegations, further escalating the diplomatic tension between the two nations.
"The downgrading in the level of the Indonesian- Australian relationship has been done," Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said.
He said, "We have taken measured steps in accordance with their response and attitude."
According to the ABC news, Indonesian president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has refused to accept Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott`s statement made in the Parliament yesterday in which he rejected Indonesia`s demand for an apology.
Indonesia had demanded an apology and an explanation within two days.
Yudhoyono said he "regretted" Abbott`s response and was awaiting an official explanation, as Indonesia reviewed its relationship with Australia.
Indonesian President`s spokesman Teuku Faizasyah said that many agreements with Australia were now at stake and Indonesia wanted an explanation, not a speech aimed at Australian domestic politics.
"I think at the moment what we are requesting is very clear. The earlier clarification we receive, that will clear the air," he said.
"It`s not advisable to maintain the status quo of not confirm, not denied if there is any tapping incident in the past. I think this is something that we are waiting at the moment because at stake is the strategic relation that we already establish," he said, adding that trust between the two countries was on the line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read