Indonesia: Hardliners protest against Obama visit
Jakarta: Members of a hardline Muslim group have protested outside the US embassy against President Barack Obama`s upcoming visit to Indonesia.
More than 1,000 members of Hizbut Tahrir rallied outside the US embassy in Jakarta on Sunday. One of the banners and posters on display read: "Reject Obama, reject capitalism and imperialism."
Another protest of about 800 people was held in Indonesia`s second-largest city of Surabaya.
Obama is coming to Indonesia to attend the East Asia Summit in Bali. Washington has put its stamp on the summit agenda in the area of security, including halting the proliferation of nuclear weapons.
Hizbut Tahrir accused Washington of having a hidden agenda to urge other countries to unite against China to guarantee US domination in the South China Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video