Interpol asked to arrest accused in Mursi jailbreak
Cairo: An Egyptian court on Sunday asked the Interpol to arrest Hamas and Hezbollah militants who along with Muslim Brotherhood members and local rebels stormed a prison in 2011 and freed 34 Islamist leaders, including President Mohammed Mursi.
The Egyptian court accused the Muslim Brotherhood members of complicity in the raiding Egyptian Wadi al-Natron Prison during the security lax the country was experiencing after the January 25 revolution.
Mursi was imprisoned there and was among those released when the prison was stormed.
The wanted include Samy Shehab from Lebanese Hezbollah; Ayman Nofal and Mohammed al-Hady from Palestinian Hamas Movement; Ramzy Mowafi, the leader of Al-Qaida organisation in the Sinai Peninsula, among others, be captured for investigations into the crimes attributed to them.
The court referred the case back to the public prosecutor to continue investigations adding that a criminal court should examine it.
In the hearing, Chief Judge said "there was a scheme for the escape of inmates from Egyptian prisons during the revolution".
He said the scheme was implemented by "foreign elements from Palestinian Hamas Movement, Ezz-al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the Palestinian Islamic Army, and Lebanese Hezbollah in cooperation with criminals inside the country."
Several of the prisoners were granted Presidential pardon by Mursi when he was elected President.
According to legal and constitutional expert Nour Farahat ruling is very important despite it referring the case back to the prosecution.
According to Farahat the ruling confirms there was collective escape from the prison including the current president and a number of Islamist figures.
The storming of prison was done with the aid of foreign elements including Hamas and Hezbollah.
Eleven thousand prisoners escaped and 13 died during the prison break.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal