Iran Denies Banning Oil Exports to EU
Tehran: Iran`s Oil Ministry denied state media reports on the Islamic state stopping its crude exports to six European countries on Wednesday.
"We deny this report ... If such a decision is made, it will be announced by Iran`s Supreme National Security Council," a spokesman for the ministry said.
Earlier Wednesday, Iran`s English language Press TV reported that Tehran had stopped exporting oil to France, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Netherlands and Spain.
Brent crude oil prices were up $1 a barrel to $118.35 shortly after the announcement.
In January, the EU`s 27 member states decided to stop importing crude from Iran starting July 1. The ban is an attempt to pressure Iran over its disputed nuclear program, which the West says is aimed at building bombs. Iran denies this.
The EU`s ban came after US President Barack Obama signed new sanctions into law on New Year`s Eve that would block any institution dealing with Iran`s central bank from the US financial system.
If fully implemented, these measures will make it impossible for countries to buy Iranian oil.
Iran`s oil minister said on February 4 that the Islamic state would certainly cut its oil exports to "some" European countries.
"Our oil exports will certainly be cut to some European countries ... We will decide about other European countries later," Qasemi told a news conference, IRNA reported.
However, analysts say the global oil market would not be greatly affected if Iran were to turn off the oil tap to Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’