Iran fails to deliver human rights improvements: Britain
London: Britain has accused the new Iranian regime of failing to implement promised human-rights reforms, and warned there was little imminent hope of improvement.
The Foreign Office report said there were "serious" concerns over religious freedoms and the treatment of journalists, despite the thawing of international relations with Tehran following the election of Hassan Rouhani last June.
"There was no substantive improvement in the human rights situation in Iran between October and December 2013," it said yesterday.
"The Iranian government continued to make positive public statements on civil rights issues, but there has been no sign of institutional change to improve the human rights situation, including for minority religious and ethnic groups, journalists and human rights defenders, prisoners and women."
It welcomed Rouhani`s release of a draft charter of citizens` rights in November, but stressed that "without changes to the law or the approach taken by the judiciary and security forces, there is unlikely to be any real change."
Yesterday, Iran halted production of 20 per cent enriched uranium, marking the entry into force of an landmark deal with world powers on its disputed nuclear programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof