Iran ‘hopeful of restarting talks with P5 soon`
New Delhi: Iran`s chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili has said he is hopeful of Tehran resuming talks with the P5+1 comprising five members of the UN Security Council and Germany, and underlined that Iran was not pursuing an atomic weapons programme but only using its right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
"The proposals have been given. They (P5+1) have expressed their readiness for the restart of the talks," Jalili, the head of Iran`s Supreme National Security Council, told a group of journalists and strategic experts at the Observer Research Foundation, a think tank, here on Wednesday.
"The time and venue of the talks have not been decided. We are hopeful of the restart of the talks. We hope the talks will be held soon," he said.
Jalili underlined that Iran has never "deviated from the peaceful programme of nuclear energy".
"We always stress on our rights and we respect our duties. We don`t accept anything less nor ask for anything more than that," he said.
In the last few weeks, Tehran has indicated its willingness to end the country`s deadlock with the West over its atomic programme, which is suspected of producing nuclear weapons.
The last round of talks between the P5 (the US, China, Britain, France, Russia) and Germany in June ended in a stalemate as Iran rejected their proposal to suspend part of its programme and asked for a more substantial sanctions relief.
"We view relations with India favourably," Jalili said.
He accused the US of pursuing double standards on terrorism and blamed the Western powers for the mess in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price