Iran ‘hopeful of restarting talks with P5 soon`
New Delhi: Iran`s chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili has said he is hopeful of Tehran resuming talks with the P5+1 comprising five members of the UN Security Council and Germany, and underlined that Iran was not pursuing an atomic weapons programme but only using its right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
"The proposals have been given. They (P5+1) have expressed their readiness for the restart of the talks," Jalili, the head of Iran`s Supreme National Security Council, told a group of journalists and strategic experts at the Observer Research Foundation, a think tank, here on Wednesday.
"The time and venue of the talks have not been decided. We are hopeful of the restart of the talks. We hope the talks will be held soon," he said.
Jalili underlined that Iran has never "deviated from the peaceful programme of nuclear energy".
"We always stress on our rights and we respect our duties. We don`t accept anything less nor ask for anything more than that," he said.
In the last few weeks, Tehran has indicated its willingness to end the country`s deadlock with the West over its atomic programme, which is suspected of producing nuclear weapons.
The last round of talks between the P5 (the US, China, Britain, France, Russia) and Germany in June ended in a stalemate as Iran rejected their proposal to suspend part of its programme and asked for a more substantial sanctions relief.
"We view relations with India favourably," Jalili said.
He accused the US of pursuing double standards on terrorism and blamed the Western powers for the mess in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery