Iran must bring Neda`s killer to justice: Amnesty
London: The killer of Neda Agha-Soltan,
whose shooting death during a street protest against last
summer`s Iranian election was flashed around the world on the
Internet, must be brought to justice, Amnesty International
"One year after the killing of Neda Agha-Soltan, the
failure of Iranian authorities to bring her killer to justice
is a damning example of the culture of impunity that has
widened since the 2009 election protests," Amnesty said on
the eve of her June 20 death.
"Neda`s unlawful killing is emblematic of not only the
numerous human rights violations committed against Iranians
over the past year -- which are still continuing today -- but
also of the government`s steadfast refusal to bring to justice
those responsible for torturing and killing its critics," the
London-based group`s Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui said in a
Agha-Soltan, 26, became an icon of the post-election
uprising against Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad after a
mobile phone video of her bleeding to death during a protest
in Tehran was posted on the Internet.
Dozens of people were reportedly killed in street
battles between security forces and protesters, especially in
Tehran, following an election that reformist leaders charged
had been rigged.
The regime crushed the protests, rounding up pro-reform
politicians and journalists and unleashing the feared Basij
militia on those who dared to demonstrate.
In its 2009 annual report, Amnesty charged that
"compelling evidence emerged that a number of detainees, both
women and men, had been raped and otherwise tortured in
The authorities reacted furiously to the accusations of
rape, first made by opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi.
But they were forced to admit abuses at Tehran`s
notorious Kahrizak detention centre, which was closed after at
least three protesters died of injuries there.
Iran also has sentenced 10 protesters to death and
hanged seven people on security charges unrelated to the
election but seen as a warning to opposition groups.
Earlier this month, leaders of the pro-democracy Green
Movement that sprouted after the election called off a June 12
rally on the first anniversary of the election, saying they
feared for the safety of protesters.
"Despite the wealth of video-taped evidence and
witnesses, the Iranian authorities have not carried out any
independent investigation into Neda`s death, nor the apparent
deaths of scores of others at the hands of government
forces between June and December 2009," Amnesty said.
"They have denied allegations that the paramilitary
Basij caused Neda`s death and blamed, instead, a range of
people and organisations including the BBC, CNN, the CIA, and
even the doctor who rushed to Neda`s aid when she was shot,"
the rights group said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo