Iran prosecutor says 90 former detainees allege abuse
Tehran: Ninety former inmates of an Iranian detention centre closed over allegations of excesses during this summer`s post-election crackdown have formally complained of abuse, the Tehran military prosecutor said on Saturday.
"Ninety people who suffered harm have come forward to lodge complaints," the Mehr news agency quoted Shokrollah Bahrami as saying.
"Fifteen other people have given witness statements.”
"Seven suspects, all of them members of the security forces, have been arrested," Bahrami said, adding that the warden of the Kahrizak detention centre in south Tehran is also in custody.
He said the case would not go to trial until the investigation had been completed.
Supreme leader Ali Khamenei ordered the closure of the centre at the end of July, saying warders had failed to maintain proper standards.
Three people arrested amid the wave of mass protests that followed President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s hotly disputed re-election in June died in the centre.
Iranian officials have never detailed the circumstances of their deaths, but press reports and opposition politicians say the three were beaten or tortured to death.
They were among a total of 36 people who lost their lives during the post-election unrest, a senior commander of Iran`s elite Revolutionary Guards was quoted on Thursday as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown