Iran prosecutor says 90 former detainees allege abuse
Tehran: Ninety former inmates of an Iranian detention centre closed over allegations of excesses during this summer`s post-election crackdown have formally complained of abuse, the Tehran military prosecutor said on Saturday.
"Ninety people who suffered harm have come forward to lodge complaints," the Mehr news agency quoted Shokrollah Bahrami as saying.
"Fifteen other people have given witness statements.”
"Seven suspects, all of them members of the security forces, have been arrested," Bahrami said, adding that the warden of the Kahrizak detention centre in south Tehran is also in custody.
He said the case would not go to trial until the investigation had been completed.
Supreme leader Ali Khamenei ordered the closure of the centre at the end of July, saying warders had failed to maintain proper standards.
Three people arrested amid the wave of mass protests that followed President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s hotly disputed re-election in June died in the centre.
Iranian officials have never detailed the circumstances of their deaths, but press reports and opposition politicians say the three were beaten or tortured to death.
They were among a total of 36 people who lost their lives during the post-election unrest, a senior commander of Iran`s elite Revolutionary Guards was quoted on Thursday as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!