Iran rejects report it gave Libya chemical arms
Tehran: Iran has dismissed a US news report
implicating it in a chemical weapons cache uncovered in Libya,
saying it was a champion in fighting to eradicate such arms.
"About the arms delivery to the regime of (toppled Libyan
leader Muammar) Gaddafi... The West would do better to look to
itself, because Iran has always been at the forefront in the
fight against chemical weapons," foreign ministry spokesman
Ramin Mehmanparast said, according to Iranian media today.
He was responding to a report Sunday in The Washington
Post newspaper that quoted an anonymous US official saying
special artillery shells made by Iran and filled by Libya with
mustard gas had been discovered in two sites in recent weeks.
Mehmanparast said Iran had experience as a victim of
chemical weapons, when mustard gas was used against its troops
by Iraq in a 1980-1988 war.
"Western countries have to answer how certain nations
supplied the Iraqi regime with such weapons during the
Iran-Iraq war," he said.
Tehran says Western countries supplied Baghdad with the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case