Iran says it blocks cyber attack on oil platforms
Tehran: Iran says it has successfully blocked a cyber attack on the computer network of its offshore drilling platforms, a semi-official news agency reported Monday.
The report by ISNA quoted Mohammad Reza Golshani, IT head of Iran`s state offshore oil company, as blaming Israel for having planned the attack.
Iran periodically reports the discovery of viruses and other malicious programs in government, nuclear, oil and industrial networks, blaming Israel and the United States. In May, Iran shut down part of its oil facilities because of another such cyber attack.
Israel has done little to deflect suspicion that it uses viruses against Iran.
In this case, Golshani said, the attack occurred over the past two weeks, was routed through China, and affected only the communications systems of the network.
He said the main network was safe since it was isolated from the Internet, and was back to normal operations. Iran announced that it had temporarily disconnected its oil ministry and its main crude export terminal from the Internet after the May attack.
Iran earns up to 80 per cent of its foreign revenue from the export of crude.
Iran is odds with the West over its nuclear program. The West suspects the program is aimed at developing weapons. Tehran denies the charge, saying its nuclear program is geared toward peaceful purposes like power generation and cancer treatment.
A computer worm known as Stuxnet briefly brought Iran`s uranium enrichment activity to a halt in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?