Iran summons Saudi envoy over spy ring claim
Tehran: Iran has summoned a Saudi envoy to protest the kingdom`s allegation that members of a spy ring arrested in the Arab country last week worked for Iranian intelligence.
The semi-official Mehr news agency said in a report late yesterday that Iran`s Foreign Ministry "strongly rejected" the claim during a meeting with the Saudi charge d`affaires in Tehran. The report says Iran is seeking an explanation from the kingdom.
Saudi Arabia has said that material evidence and detainee confessions prove the members of the arrested group had received money from Iran for information on vital locations in the kingdom. Iran has denied such payments.
The mainly Sunni kingdom and the predominantly Shi`ite Iran are regional rivals. They have a hostile relationship and frequently trade accusations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Two arrested with narcotic capsules, injections in Jammu
- Pakistan rise to No. 1 in Test rankings after India-West Indies match called off
- Dengue menace: Two more die in Delhi, death toll jumps to 311
- Libya parliament rejects UN-backed unity government
- Ind vs WI: Day 5 washed out, Virat Kohli & co win series 2-0 but lose top ranking