Iran summons Saudi envoy over spy ring claim
Tehran: Iran has summoned a Saudi envoy to protest the kingdom`s allegation that members of a spy ring arrested in the Arab country last week worked for Iranian intelligence.
The semi-official Mehr news agency said in a report late yesterday that Iran`s Foreign Ministry "strongly rejected" the claim during a meeting with the Saudi charge d`affaires in Tehran. The report says Iran is seeking an explanation from the kingdom.
Saudi Arabia has said that material evidence and detainee confessions prove the members of the arrested group had received money from Iran for information on vital locations in the kingdom. Iran has denied such payments.
The mainly Sunni kingdom and the predominantly Shi`ite Iran are regional rivals. They have a hostile relationship and frequently trade accusations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why