Iran summons Saudi envoy over spy ring claim
Tehran: Iran has summoned a Saudi envoy to protest the kingdom`s allegation that members of a spy ring arrested in the Arab country last week worked for Iranian intelligence.
The semi-official Mehr news agency said in a report late yesterday that Iran`s Foreign Ministry "strongly rejected" the claim during a meeting with the Saudi charge d`affaires in Tehran. The report says Iran is seeking an explanation from the kingdom.
Saudi Arabia has said that material evidence and detainee confessions prove the members of the arrested group had received money from Iran for information on vital locations in the kingdom. Iran has denied such payments.
The mainly Sunni kingdom and the predominantly Shi`ite Iran are regional rivals. They have a hostile relationship and frequently trade accusations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog