Iran summons Saudi envoy over spy ring claim
Tehran: Iran has summoned a Saudi envoy to protest the kingdom`s allegation that members of a spy ring arrested in the Arab country last week worked for Iranian intelligence.
The semi-official Mehr news agency said in a report late yesterday that Iran`s Foreign Ministry "strongly rejected" the claim during a meeting with the Saudi charge d`affaires in Tehran. The report says Iran is seeking an explanation from the kingdom.
Saudi Arabia has said that material evidence and detainee confessions prove the members of the arrested group had received money from Iran for information on vital locations in the kingdom. Iran has denied such payments.
The mainly Sunni kingdom and the predominantly Shi`ite Iran are regional rivals. They have a hostile relationship and frequently trade accusations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding