Iran to build power plant on border with Armenia
Yerevan: Armenia says that Iran will spend USD 320 million on building a power plant on a river marking their border.
The Armenian President attended a groundbreaking ceremony today for the Meghri hydroelectric plant on the Aras river. The construction is expected to take five years, the Armenian Energy Ministry said.
Iran will get all the electricity produced by the 130-megawatt plant during the first 15 years of its operation, after which it will be handed over to Armenia.
Overwhelmingly Christian, Armenia has developed ties with the Islamic state amid economic challenges caused by the closing of the landlocked country`s borders with Turkey and Azerbaijan in the wake of the conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh, which has been under the control of Armenian troops and local ethnic Armenian forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside