Iranian VP arrives in Cairo to deliver NAM invitatations to Morsi
Cairo: Iranian Vice President Hamed Baqai on Tuesday arrived in Cairo to deliver invitation to Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi for the summit of Non-aligned Movement ( NAM), which will take place at the end of this month, marking him as the highest Iranian official to visit Egypt after the two sides cut their diplomatic ties.
Egypt and Iran do not have full diplomatic relations since Iran ``s 1979 Islamic Revolution, when Iran cut ties after Egypt gave asylum to the deposed Iranian shah in Cairo and made peace with Israel.
In recent months, Iranian high-ranking officials have been touring the world to invite leaders to participate in the upcoming NAM summit.
The NAM, founded in 1961, has altogether 120 member states as of 2012. Azerbaijan and Fiji became its newest members in the 16th ministerial meeting held in Indonesia last year.
The NAM`s members consider themselves not aligned formally with or against any major political bloc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly