Iranian VP arrives in Cairo to deliver NAM invitatations to Morsi
Cairo: Iranian Vice President Hamed Baqai on Tuesday arrived in Cairo to deliver invitation to Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi for the summit of Non-aligned Movement ( NAM), which will take place at the end of this month, marking him as the highest Iranian official to visit Egypt after the two sides cut their diplomatic ties.
Egypt and Iran do not have full diplomatic relations since Iran ``s 1979 Islamic Revolution, when Iran cut ties after Egypt gave asylum to the deposed Iranian shah in Cairo and made peace with Israel.
In recent months, Iranian high-ranking officials have been touring the world to invite leaders to participate in the upcoming NAM summit.
The NAM, founded in 1961, has altogether 120 member states as of 2012. Azerbaijan and Fiji became its newest members in the 16th ministerial meeting held in Indonesia last year.
The NAM`s members consider themselves not aligned formally with or against any major political bloc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!