Iranian VP arrives in Cairo to deliver NAM invitatations to Morsi
Cairo: Iranian Vice President Hamed Baqai on Tuesday arrived in Cairo to deliver invitation to Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi for the summit of Non-aligned Movement ( NAM), which will take place at the end of this month, marking him as the highest Iranian official to visit Egypt after the two sides cut their diplomatic ties.
Egypt and Iran do not have full diplomatic relations since Iran ``s 1979 Islamic Revolution, when Iran cut ties after Egypt gave asylum to the deposed Iranian shah in Cairo and made peace with Israel.
In recent months, Iranian high-ranking officials have been touring the world to invite leaders to participate in the upcoming NAM summit.
The NAM, founded in 1961, has altogether 120 member states as of 2012. Azerbaijan and Fiji became its newest members in the 16th ministerial meeting held in Indonesia last year.
The NAM`s members consider themselves not aligned formally with or against any major political bloc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers