Iranians `targeted Israeli diplomats in Bangkok’
Bangkok: A Thai official on Wednesday said that the Iranian suspects arrested in Bangkok after three explosions hit the city aimed to assassinate Israeli diplomats.
"These three Iranian men are an assassination team and their targets were Israeli diplomats including the ambassador," a senior Thai intelligence official said on condition of anonymity.
"Their plan was to attach bombs to diplomats` cars."
Earlier in the day, Thai police said that the two Iranian suspects arrested in Bangkok were likely planning to attack individuals but did not have the capacity to target large crowds or buildings.
A day after the blasts in a residential Bangkok neighbourhood, Thai authorities admitted to being caught by surprise and said they had little information about who the alleged attackers were and their possible targets.
National Security Council chief Wichean Potephosree told reporters authorities had not determined if there was any link between Tuesday`s explosions in Bangkok and one in New Delhi a day earlier. Israel has blamed both on Iran.
"We haven`t found any links but we are still investigating," he said.
Four Thai civilians were wounded in Bangkok after a cache of explosives ignited the Iranians` home, apparently by mistake, ripping off part of the roof.
A later explosion blew off the leg of an Iranian who had fled, carrying what looked like grenades.
When police searched the house, the bomb squad found and defused two explosives, each made of three or four pounds of C-4 explosives inside a pair of radios. National Police Chief General Prewpan Damapong said the bombs were "magnetic" and could be stuck on vehicles.
"From the investigation, we found the type of explosives indicated that the prepared targets were individuals," Wichean said. "Based on the equipment and materials we found, they were aimed at individuals and the destruction capacity was not intended for large crowds or big buildings."
The wounded Iranian was in police custody at a Bangkok hospital.
Immigration police detained a second Iranian as he tried to board a flight for Malaysia.
Both men were facing four charges, including possession of explosives, attempted murder, attempted murder of a policeman and causing explosions that damaged property, Prewpan said.
Security forces were searching for a third Iranian suspect.
Israel`s Channel 10 TV also quoted unidentified Thai authorities as saying the captured Iranians confessed to targeting Israeli interests.
There was no comment from Iranian officials in Tehran.
There seemed to be no doubt in the minds of Israeli officials, who blamed Iran and its Lebanese ally, Hezbollah.
"The attempted terrorist attack in Bangkok proves once again that Iran and its proxies continue to perpetrate terror," Defence Minister Ehud Barak said in Singapore. "The recent terror attacks are yet another example of this."
(With Agency’s inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in