Iraq worried about influx of foreign weapons to Syrian rebels
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Iraq has expressed fear that weapons supplied to Syrian rebels by other nations may fall in the hand of extremists and terror groups and further worsen the condition in the country.
Iraq`s foreign minister asked outside nations to not supply weapons to any of Syria`s rebels.
The appeal is another yet attempt by Iraq to stop other countries against meddling in the two-and-a-half-year civil war to its west, even as Baghdad acknowledges that the continued fighting has escalated violence in Iraq.
But Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari yesterday that nearly 10,000 foreign fighters have joined Syria`s rebel opposition.
He said foreign military aid could help jihadist groups that are fighting among Syrian rebels against President Bashar Assad`s regime.
The US began sending small arms to the Syrian opposition within the last few weeks, and has arranged for anti-tank weapons to be funnelled to vetted rebel fighters through allied nations.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons