Iraq worried about influx of foreign weapons to Syrian rebels
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Iraq has expressed fear that weapons supplied to Syrian rebels by other nations may fall in the hand of extremists and terror groups and further worsen the condition in the country.
Iraq`s foreign minister asked outside nations to not supply weapons to any of Syria`s rebels.
The appeal is another yet attempt by Iraq to stop other countries against meddling in the two-and-a-half-year civil war to its west, even as Baghdad acknowledges that the continued fighting has escalated violence in Iraq.
But Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari yesterday that nearly 10,000 foreign fighters have joined Syria`s rebel opposition.
He said foreign military aid could help jihadist groups that are fighting among Syrian rebels against President Bashar Assad`s regime.
The US began sending small arms to the Syrian opposition within the last few weeks, and has arranged for anti-tank weapons to be funnelled to vetted rebel fighters through allied nations.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS