Iraqi prisoners escape from prison
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say 12 prisoners, including some al Qaeda-linked inmates awaiting execution, have escaped from a prison near Baghdad.
A police official said the early jailbreak took place today after the prisoners escaped through windows of their cells and seized the weapons of guards who were manning two observation towers.
A guard chief in Taji prison confirmed the information, adding that some guards were arrested and are being questioned to see if they helped the prisoners escape. Security forces started a manhunt to arrest the escapees.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to talk to media.
Jailbreaks occur frequently in Iraq. The new security breach cast more doubts on the ability of Iraq to secure the country amid deep political and sectarian tensions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'