Iraqi prisoners escape from prison
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say 12 prisoners, including some al Qaeda-linked inmates awaiting execution, have escaped from a prison near Baghdad.
A police official said the early jailbreak took place today after the prisoners escaped through windows of their cells and seized the weapons of guards who were manning two observation towers.
A guard chief in Taji prison confirmed the information, adding that some guards were arrested and are being questioned to see if they helped the prisoners escape. Security forces started a manhunt to arrest the escapees.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to talk to media.
Jailbreaks occur frequently in Iraq. The new security breach cast more doubts on the ability of Iraq to secure the country amid deep political and sectarian tensions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof