Iraqi prisoners escape from prison
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say 12 prisoners, including some al Qaeda-linked inmates awaiting execution, have escaped from a prison near Baghdad.
A police official said the early jailbreak took place today after the prisoners escaped through windows of their cells and seized the weapons of guards who were manning two observation towers.
A guard chief in Taji prison confirmed the information, adding that some guards were arrested and are being questioned to see if they helped the prisoners escape. Security forces started a manhunt to arrest the escapees.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to talk to media.
Jailbreaks occur frequently in Iraq. The new security breach cast more doubts on the ability of Iraq to secure the country amid deep political and sectarian tensions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls