Iraqi prisoners escape from prison
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say 12 prisoners, including some al Qaeda-linked inmates awaiting execution, have escaped from a prison near Baghdad.
A police official said the early jailbreak took place today after the prisoners escaped through windows of their cells and seized the weapons of guards who were manning two observation towers.
A guard chief in Taji prison confirmed the information, adding that some guards were arrested and are being questioned to see if they helped the prisoners escape. Security forces started a manhunt to arrest the escapees.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to talk to media.
Jailbreaks occur frequently in Iraq. The new security breach cast more doubts on the ability of Iraq to secure the country amid deep political and sectarian tensions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers