Island nation of Vanuatu jolted by several quakes
Port-Vila: The South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu continues to be jolted by several moderate to strong earthquakes after a magnitude 7.1 temblor hit last week.
Several earthquakes, including a 6.1 and a 6.0, hit Monday. Since the larger quake struck Friday there have been 20 temblors of magnitude 4.5 or above, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Most have been centred near the 7.1 quake, which hit about 77 miles (124 kilometres) west of Port-Vila, Vanuatu`s capital.
No tsunami warnings have been issued, and there have been no reports of injuries or damage.
The region lies on the "Ring of Fire" — an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones that stretches around the Pacific Rim. About 90 percent of the world`s quakes occur in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...