Israeli hit damages Syrian chemical, biological research site
Washington: Israel`s recent daring air strike inside Syria may have damaged the Arab country`s main chemical and biological research center, according to US officials.
While the attack targeted Russian-made SA-17 missiles and their launchers, video shown on Syrian television backs up assertions that the research center also suffered moderate damage, The New York Times quoted US officials as saying.
The complex, the Syrian Scientific Studies and Research Center, located north of Damascus has been the target of American and Western sanctions for more than a decade because of intelligence suggesting that it was the training site for engineers who worked on chemical and biological weaponry.
The paper quoted a senior US military official as saying that any damage (to the complex) was likely "due to the bombs which targeted the vehicles" carrying the anti-aircraft weapons and from "the secondary explosions from the missiles."
The official said that "the Israelis had a small strike package", meaning that a relatively few fighter aircraft slipped past Syria`s Russian-made air defences to hit the target. "They clearly went after the air defense weapons on the transport trucks," the official told the paper.
There is still much that is not known about the attack, and there have been contradictory descriptions of it. Initial reports suggested that the anti-aircraft missiles - which the Israelis feared were about to be moved to Hezbollah forces in Lebanon - were hit near the Lebanese border.
Subsequent reports suggest there were multiple attacks conducted at roughly the same time, the NYT said.
Israel, which had been silent on the issue, yesterday gave the first indirect confirmation of the attack.
Speaking at a security conference in Munich, outgoing Israeli defense minister Ehud Barak referred to the attack as "another proof that when we say something we mean it."
Israel had warned that if it saw Syrian chemical weapons on the move, it would act to stop them.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has threatened to retaliate, saying the raid "unmasked the true role Israel is playing, in collaboration with foreign enemy forces and their agents on Syrian soil."
The event fuelled fears of a regional spillover of the Syria`s 22-month conflict which has left 60,000 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in