Israeli navy intercepts arms-laden ship en-route
Jerusalem: The Israeli navy on Tuesday
intercepted an Egypt-bound ship, suspected of carrying weapons
for Hamas fighters in Gaza, an official spokesperson said.
The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) spokesperson said the
ship `Victoria` originated from the Lattakia port in Syria and
sailed to Mersin, Turkey. It was seized in the Mediterranean
Sea while on its way to El-Arish port in Egypt.
Elite troops from the Shayetet 13 Naval Commando unit
took control over the vessel, which was carrying "various
weaponry", without any struggle when it was around 200
nautical miles off Israel`s coast and towed it to the Israeli
port in Ashdod.
"The operation was approved as necessary in accordance
with the government directives in light of Chief of the
General Staff Lt Gen Benny Gantz`s recommendations," the IDF
"The IDF and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs alerted
German authorities about the interception of the Victoria due
to the German ownership of the ship."
The Israeli army said that the contents of the ship
will be thoroughly examined and its crew will be taken in for
Although the ship had set sail from Turkey, it bore a
Turkey is not responsible for the seized ship "in any
aspect," the IDF said.
Earlier, the Israeli Navy had seized the Karine A, a
vessel carrying 50 tonnes of missiles, mortars, rifles and
ammunition headed for Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!