Italian cardinal linked to scandal: Reports
Vatican City: One of the Vatican`s biggest scandals in decades appears to be widening with reports that an Italian cardinal may be involved in a power struggle involving leaked documents, corruption and intrigue.
Leading Italian newspapers Corriere della Sera and Il Messaggero reported today that the pope`s butler arrested three days ago for allegedly feeding documents to Italian journalists clearly did not act alone, and that an unidentified cardinal is suspected of playing a major role in the scandal.
The Holy See had no immediate comment, but was planning to brief reporters on the latest developments.
The Vatican`s investigation into the source of leaked documents has yielded its first target with the arrest of the butler, who reportedly kept a treasure trove of documents in his Vatican apartment.
The detention of Paolo Gabriele, one of Pope Benedict XVI`s household staff, threw the Holy See into chaos. The 46-year-old father of three was always considered extremely loyal to Benedict and his predecessor, John Paul II, for whom he briefly served. Vatican insiders said they were baffled by his alleged involvement.
Benedict has not commented directly on the scandal.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Punjab woman 'gangraped first, killed, and then thrown from roof'
- IPL 2016: Mumbai Indians sign Jerome Taylor as injured Lasith Malinga's replacement
- AugustaWestland chopper deal: It's political conspiracy to cover up criminal negligence in pursuing CBI inquiry, says AK Antony
- Tiger Shroff regrets making housewife comment?
- Britain would be less well off after Brexit: OECD