Italian cardinal linked to scandal: Reports
Vatican City: One of the Vatican`s biggest scandals in decades appears to be widening with reports that an Italian cardinal may be involved in a power struggle involving leaked documents, corruption and intrigue.
Leading Italian newspapers Corriere della Sera and Il Messaggero reported today that the pope`s butler arrested three days ago for allegedly feeding documents to Italian journalists clearly did not act alone, and that an unidentified cardinal is suspected of playing a major role in the scandal.
The Holy See had no immediate comment, but was planning to brief reporters on the latest developments.
The Vatican`s investigation into the source of leaked documents has yielded its first target with the arrest of the butler, who reportedly kept a treasure trove of documents in his Vatican apartment.
The detention of Paolo Gabriele, one of Pope Benedict XVI`s household staff, threw the Holy See into chaos. The 46-year-old father of three was always considered extremely loyal to Benedict and his predecessor, John Paul II, for whom he briefly served. Vatican insiders said they were baffled by his alleged involvement.
Benedict has not commented directly on the scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- LIVE: Indian Army destroys 7 terror launch pads across Line of Control