Italian kidnapped in Nigeria
Abuja: An Italian construction worker has been kidnapped from Ilorin in northern Nigeria while monitoring a road drainage project initiated by the state government, the police said on Wednesday.
The engineer whose name has not been made public was abducted along Bishop Smith Street in Ilorin (capital of a northern Nigerian state) on Monday by unknown persons who are yet to make contact with his associates or the government.
"The development is devastating but the state police command has commenced investigation with the purpose of rescuing the abducted man," spokesman for the police in Kwara State, Fabode Olufemi said, while confirming the incident.
Olufemi advised the members of the public to volunteer information which could lead to his rescue if they have any.
The kidnapping of an Italian and British engineer last year led to a bloody rescue operation that caused the death of the two abductees early March this year.
British and Nigerian forces attempted to rescue the two but failed as the hostages were killed by their captors before they could be freed.
The Briton Chris McManus and his Italian co-worker, Franco Lamolinara were abducted from their residence in Nigeria`s northern city of Birnin Kebbi.
They worked for Italian company B Stabilini in Abuja where they were handling a construction work at the country`s central bank.
Nigeria has been troubled by constant killing and bombing by members of an Islamic sect called Boko Haram which claims to be fighting for the installation of Sharia system of government in the oil rich African country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details