Italian kidnapped in Nigeria
Abuja: An Italian construction worker has been kidnapped from Ilorin in northern Nigeria while monitoring a road drainage project initiated by the state government, the police said on Wednesday.
The engineer whose name has not been made public was abducted along Bishop Smith Street in Ilorin (capital of a northern Nigerian state) on Monday by unknown persons who are yet to make contact with his associates or the government.
"The development is devastating but the state police command has commenced investigation with the purpose of rescuing the abducted man," spokesman for the police in Kwara State, Fabode Olufemi said, while confirming the incident.
Olufemi advised the members of the public to volunteer information which could lead to his rescue if they have any.
The kidnapping of an Italian and British engineer last year led to a bloody rescue operation that caused the death of the two abductees early March this year.
British and Nigerian forces attempted to rescue the two but failed as the hostages were killed by their captors before they could be freed.
The Briton Chris McManus and his Italian co-worker, Franco Lamolinara were abducted from their residence in Nigeria`s northern city of Birnin Kebbi.
They worked for Italian company B Stabilini in Abuja where they were handling a construction work at the country`s central bank.
Nigeria has been troubled by constant killing and bombing by members of an Islamic sect called Boko Haram which claims to be fighting for the installation of Sharia system of government in the oil rich African country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Asian Filmmaker award posthumously for Abbas Kiarostami at Busan
- Infosys denies laying off 500 people, says 'few' asked to leave for non-performance
- Vivek Oberoi to be trained by Daniel Craig's trainer
- Viral Video: Cheating man finds both girlfriends at same place, EXPOSED – See what happened next
- Xiaomi's smartphones sales in India up 72%