James Holmes ready to plead guilty in Colorado massacre
Washington: James Holmes, who allegedly killed 12 people during the screening of `The Dark Knight Rises` at a movie hall in Colorado, United States, has offered to plead guilty and serve the rest of his life in prison to avoid the death penalty.
The deal would bring a swift end to the courtroom battle and circumvent a prolonged debate over his sanity.
According to Fox News, prosecutors have not said whether they would accept the offer, and victims and survivors of the massacre were divided on what should be done.
Melisa Cowden, whose ex-husband was killed in the theatre, said she was resolutely opposed to a plea deal.
Cowden, whose two teenage daughters were with their father when he was killed, said that Holmes did not give 12 people the chance to plea bargain for life.
The attack during a crowded midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" left a dozen people dead and 70 injured.
Prosecutors have said Holmes planned the assault for months, casing the theatre complex in the Denver suburb of Aurora, amassing a small arsenal and rigging potentially deadly booby-traps in his apartment, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional