Japan’s plan to ‘phase out nuke power by 2030’ seems ‘vulnerable’
Tokyo: Japan’s recently compiled energy strategy aimed at phasing out nuclear power by the 2030s seems to be vulnerable as it is likely to be revised under the next government, which has been critical of the push to completely abandon atomic energy despite last year’s nuclear disaster.
Under the energy strategy compiled by the government led by the Democratic Party of Japan, which suffered defeat in Sunday`s election, the country was expected to strive to reduce its reliance on nuclear power.
The government planned strictly limiting the operation of reactors to 40 years and forbidding construction of new reactors.
While the upcoming Liberal Democratic Party, also acknowledges the need to reduce reliance on nuclear power, rules stipulated in the energy strategy could be watered down or withdrawn in line with a possible retraction of the zero-nuclear goal.
“The new government may prefer to take plenty of time to work out a new energy policy, saying something like ``We will think about whether it is appropriate or not to choose a zero-nuclear path’,” the Japan Times quoted a senior government official familiar with energy issues, as saying.
According to the paper, the LDP``s support for nuclear power has also fueled speculation that Japan could see the reactivation of more reactors that clear safety standards to be set by the Nuclear Regulation Authority, an independent body launched in September.
The LDP has said it will decide whether to restart the country``s reactors within three years, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM