Jerusalem reopens popular Old City gate
Jerusalem: One of four main gates to
Jerusalem`s Old City has been reopened after a two-month
Jaffa Gate is the most common entrance for tourists
entering the Old City, home to key Jewish, Christian and
Muslim holy sites.
In 2007, the Israel Antiquities Authority began a USD 4
million project to restore all two and a half miles of the
Old City`s ancient walls. The project replaced broken stones,
reattached an elaborate inscription above the gate and cleaned
the facade with lye.
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat says the city has a duty to
restore historical sites.
But any construction in the area has the potential to
ignite tensions between Israelis and Palestinians.
Today`s ceremony proceeded peacefully.
- E-vehicle maker Clean Motion to invest $10 million in India
- Must watch VIDEO: This is possibly the best ever catch of IPL
- BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur proposes 10 years of jail term for fixers in private bill
- After Uttarakhand, now Himachal faces the brunt of forest fires, 50 ha of woodland destroyed
- Good News: Flying from IGI Airport becomes cheaper from May 1