Jerusalem reopens popular Old City gate
Jerusalem: One of four main gates to
Jerusalem`s Old City has been reopened after a two-month
Jaffa Gate is the most common entrance for tourists
entering the Old City, home to key Jewish, Christian and
Muslim holy sites.
In 2007, the Israel Antiquities Authority began a USD 4
million project to restore all two and a half miles of the
Old City`s ancient walls. The project replaced broken stones,
reattached an elaborate inscription above the gate and cleaned
the facade with lye.
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat says the city has a duty to
restore historical sites.
But any construction in the area has the potential to
ignite tensions between Israelis and Palestinians.
Today`s ceremony proceeded peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened