Jerusalem reopens popular Old City gate
Jerusalem: One of four main gates to
Jerusalem`s Old City has been reopened after a two-month
Jaffa Gate is the most common entrance for tourists
entering the Old City, home to key Jewish, Christian and
Muslim holy sites.
In 2007, the Israel Antiquities Authority began a USD 4
million project to restore all two and a half miles of the
Old City`s ancient walls. The project replaced broken stones,
reattached an elaborate inscription above the gate and cleaned
the facade with lye.
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat says the city has a duty to
restore historical sites.
But any construction in the area has the potential to
ignite tensions between Israelis and Palestinians.
Today`s ceremony proceeded peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY