Jerusalem reopens popular Old City gate
Jerusalem: One of four main gates to
Jerusalem`s Old City has been reopened after a two-month
Jaffa Gate is the most common entrance for tourists
entering the Old City, home to key Jewish, Christian and
Muslim holy sites.
In 2007, the Israel Antiquities Authority began a USD 4
million project to restore all two and a half miles of the
Old City`s ancient walls. The project replaced broken stones,
reattached an elaborate inscription above the gate and cleaned
the facade with lye.
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat says the city has a duty to
restore historical sites.
But any construction in the area has the potential to
ignite tensions between Israelis and Palestinians.
Today`s ceremony proceeded peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH