‘Jews screamed like geese when they were shot during WWII’
London: A suspected Nazi war criminal has described how Jews ‘screamed like geese’ when they were shot during World War II.
In a documentary to be shown for the first time, Jonas Pukas, a 78-year-old Lithuanian immigrant, will reveal that even laughed as he said Holocaust victims flying in the air after being shot. He gave the police a taped interview at his home in New Zealand in 1992, and now, the audio is a part of the film titled “Nazi Hunter”.
In a transcript of the interview, Pukas said of Jews who were shot: “They shout like geese you know. Making the sound of birds, wailing or crying”, he said, adding with a laugh, that “the Jews ‘fly in air’”. “Some of the Jews used to scream like that, like the geese,” the Daily Mail quoted Pukas, as saying.
Despite his graphic description, Pukas denied taking part in the executions, the report added. “I only heard the people dying. I did not see it,” he said. The interview was conducted by then Detective Wayne Stringer, who was investigating a list of 47 possible war criminals that the New Zealand Government had received from the Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Centre.
Pukas died in 1994 at the age of 80. Stringer said that at least ‘a handful’ of Nazi war criminals could have lived in New Zealand without facing justice for the atrocities they had been involved in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter