Jindal calls Republicans to refocus to create growth
Washington: Indian-American Governor of Louisiana Bobby Jindal has criticised Republican leadership of taking wrong tracks by focusing in government budgets and spending.
Describing the Democratic Party as becoming a party of economic contraction, he said on Friday it is time that the Republican party must become the party of more, the party that creates growth, the party that creates more in the real economy.
"We as Republicans have to accept that government number-crunching, even conservative number-crunching, is not the answer to our nation`s problems. We must also face one more cold, hard fact. Washington is so dysfunctional any budget proposal based on fiscal sanity will be deemed not serious by the media," Jindal said in his address to the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC).
"It will fail in the Senate, won`t even make it to the President`s desk, where it would be vetoed anyway," Jindal said at the CPAC, an annual political conference currently happening in Maryland.
"Look at the debates that have dominated Washington in just the last few weeks. We had the fiscal cliff. We had the debt ceiling. We had Joe Biden`s gun control task force, and more recently the sequester. In reality, these are government sideshows in Washington that we have allowed to take center stage. As conservatives, we are falling into the sideshow trap," he said.
"Today`s conservatism is in love with zeroes. We seem to have an obsession with government bookkeeping. I`m here to tell you this is a rigged game. It is the wrong game for us to be playing. Yesterday it was the fiscal cliff. Today it`s the sequester. Tomorrow it`ll be the fiscal apocalypse, and then it`ll be fiscal Armageddon," said the Louisiana Governor, who according to political pundits is a potential presidential candidate in 2016.
"I`m here to say this obsession with zeroes has everyone in our party focused on what? On government. By obsessing with zeroes on the budget spreadsheet, we send a not-so-subtle signal that the focus of our country is on the phony economy of Washington, DC, instead of the real economy out in Billings or in Baton Rouge," he said amidst applause from the audience.
Jindal then went on to criticise the US President Barack Obama, and his economic policies.
"President Obama`s got our national debt over USD 16 trillion and climbing, larger than our entire economy, and he`s not worried about it in the least. He calls it progress. You remember his campaign slogan. He says it is forward. I`ve got news for the president. If Washington`s debt is going forward, America`s economy is going backwards," he said.
"If our end goal is to simply better manage the disasters that is the federal government, you can count me out. I`m not signing up for that. I mean, honestly, who of you here wants to sign up to help manage the slow decline of the United States of America? I sure don`t. That`s what we`ve got Democrats for," said Jindal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi