John Paul beatification just needs Pope`s nod: Reports
Vatican City: The beatification of late
Polish pope John Paul II -- a key step on the path to
sainthood -- just needs the pope`s signature to make it
official, Italian media report on Wednesday.
According to Il Giornale newspaper and Vatican expert
Marco Tosatti, the Congregation of the Causes for Saints has
approved John Paul`s first miracle.
The commission confirmed that French nun Marie
Simon-Pierre was miraculously cured of Parkinson`s disease
through the intercession of John Paul II, who also suffered
from Parkinson`s and died aged 84 on April 2, 2005.
One miracle is required for beatification and two are
needed for sainthood.
Andrea Tornielli, Vatican expert for Il Giornale, said
the committee unanimously approved the miracle during a
meeting on Tuesday. Vatican spokesman Ciro Benedettini
declined to comment.
The Prefect of the Causes for Saints, Angelo Amato,
will now have to announce the committee`s findings to Pope
Benedict XVI, who will then sign a decree acknowledging the
miracle and set a date for the ceremony.
Vatican sources said Amato will have an audience with
the pope "soon," possibly on Saturday, though they could not
confirm whether the Polish pope`s beatification was on the
Italian media have suggested two possible dates for
the ceremony: Sunday April 3, the day after the sixth
anniversary of John Paul`s death, and Sunday October 16, the
day he was elected pope.
The process of canonising John Paul, who was pope for
27 years, kicked off immediately after his death. Banners
waved in St Peter`s Square during his funeral in 2005 read
"Santo Subito!" (Sainthood Now!).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!