Jordanians protest potential US strike on Syria
Amman: Around 200 Jordanian activists chanting "America is the head of snake" have protested the anticipated US strike on neighboring Syria.
It was the biggest Jordanian anti-US gathering since President Barack Obama threatened a "limited" strike on Syrian targets in response to an alleged August 21 chemical attack blamed on Bashar Assad`s regime. A similar protest last week drew only a couple of dozen activists.
Monday`s protest was planned by youth movements affiliated with Marxist and leftist groups, which are usually fiery critics of Washington because they regard its Mideast policy as biased in favor of Israel.
The demonstrators drew parallels between Obama and former US President George W Bush, calling both "warmongers."
Several dozen Jordanian policemen were on guard near the heavily-fortified embassy. The protesters later dispersed peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you