Kazakh border ex-guard gets life for mass murder
Moscow: A Kazakhstan court Tuesday handed down a life sentence to a former border guard convicted of killing 15 people this summer at an outpost near the Kazakh-Chinese border.
Vladislav Chelakh, a 19-year-old draftee, was convicted of shooting dead 14 fellow border guards and one civilian in May. The victims` remains were found in a burned-out barracks near Chelakh`s border post.
The judge ordered Chelakh to serve his sentence in a maximum security penal colony.
Chelakh, arrested June 5, several days after the bodies were discovered, initially confessed to the crime. He later recanted, however, and claimed he was forced to confess after suffering physical abuse.
Investigators had considered several different scenarios for the killings, including an attack by Islamic extremists or cross-border smugglers.
Alexei Fomin, head of the Sary Bokter border area where Chelakh served, was also sentenced to three years in a penal colony Tuesday for failing to adequately report the crime.
The incident also prompted the head of Kazakhstan`s Border Service, Nurzhan Myrzaliyev, to resign earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?