Kazakh man jailed for showing ‘middle finger’ to lawmaker
Moscow: A court in Kazakhstan has jailed a 22-year-old man for giving the finger to a lawmaker`s motorcade, in a ruling that put rude gestures outside the scope of freedom of expression.
The legislator, Senate Chairman Kairat Mami, did not notice that he was being flipped off, his spokesman told Tengrinews.kz.
But the man who gave the finger to the VIP-cavalcade made a bad judgement call to do so in view of traffic police.
The 22-year-old offender, whose name was withheld, was promptly apprehended and put on trial.
Despite pleading guilty and offering "the most sincere regrets", he was jailed for five days over the "audacity" of his crime qualified as petty hooliganism, Newskaz.ru said.
The incident took place in the northeastern city of Pavlodar last week, but was not reported until the verdict was passed.
In Russia`s St. Petersburg city in October last year, scores of residents used the gesture to greet the passing cortege of Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
No one was punished for flipping off Medvedev, though city head Georgy Poltavchenko derided city residents for "loutishness".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees