King of Russian mafia shot dead by sniper in Moscow
London: The head of one of Russia’s most powerful crime gangs, known as ‘Grandpa Hassan’, was gunned down outside a Moscow restaurant.
Aslan Usoyan has been shot dead in an apparent contract killing that has sparked fears of bloody turf wars.
Usoyan, who was also known as Grandpa Hassan, was killed by a single shot to his head from a sniper’s rifle, as he left the Karetny Dvor restaurant, near the Kremlin in Moscow, Sky News reports.
In a statement, the Russia’s Investigative Committee said that te 75-year-old was rushed to hospital but died on the way.
The committee said a murder investigation has been launched into the shooting, and cited Usoyan``s ‘criminal activities’ as a possible explanation.
It is believed the killing is part of a war between two gangs over lucrative construction projects, including some for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Police said a female bystander was also wounded in the shooting and is being treated in hospital.
Six 9mm bullet casings were found on a stairwell between the fifth and sixth floors of a building across the street from where Usoyan was shot dead, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!