Kremlin hails Senate`s approval of nuclear treaty
Moscow: President Dmitry Medvedev has welcomed the US Senate`s decision to ratify a landmark US-Russian nuclear arms control treaty and voiced hope that Russian legislators will follow suit.
Medvedev`s spokeswoman Natalya Timakova said that when Medvedev signed the New START treaty with President Barack Obama, they agreed that the ratification process should be conducted simultaneously.
Legislators in the Kremlin-controlled parliament had said before the Senate ratified the pact on Wednesday that they would approve the treaty quickly after it`s ratified in the US.
However, Timakova said on Thursday the Russian Parliament would need to study the Senate`s ratification resolution before voting. The Russian Parliament is scheduled to have its next session on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai