Leadership choices Myanmar`s internal issue: US
Washington: The US has no role in "leadership choices" in Myanmar as this is an internal issue of the country, but it would continue to play a constructive role in the democratic and economic progress in the South East Asian nation, a top presidential aide said on Tuesday.
"The United States has indicated that those governments which are prepared to move forward on reform, move forward on democracy and recognition of rights will have a partner in the United States," Tom Donilon, the National Security Advisor to the US President Barack Obama said.
Donilon was responding to questions on the US policies on Myanmar, formerly known is Burma, in the second term of Obama Administration after delivering a major policy speech on Asia at the prestigious Asia Society in New York.
"Thinking ahead in the role of leadership, Aung San Suu Kyi, Thein Sein, what are your thoughts on Burma`s future and what the United States would like to see for it?" he was asked.
"I don`t want to really comment on leadership choices, obviously, and internal issues along those lines. But this is view," Donilon responded.
He said there was no dilution in the US`s commitment to Myanmar, where new leaders have begun a process of reform.
"President Obama`s historic visit to Rangoon is proof of our readiness to start transforming a relationship marked by hostility into one of greater cooperation. Burma has already received billions in debt forgiveness, large-scale development assistance and an influx of new investment," he said.
"While the work of reform is ongoing, Burma has already broken out of isolation and opened the door to a far better future for its people in partnership with its neighbors and the United States. And as President Obama said in his speech to the people of Burma, we will continue to stand with those who continue to support rights, democracy and reform," Donilon said.
As such he urged North Korea to reflect on Myanmar`s experience and follow their path.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH