Lebanese Army fires on Israeli fighter planes: Military
Beirut: Lebanese anti-aircraft guns opened fire on four Israeli fighter planes which were violating its air space and flying at low altitude on Monday, the military said.
"The Army`s anti-aircraft guns fired at four enemy Israeli planes that had been overflying the (southern) area of Marjayoun this morning," an Army spokesman said on condition of anonymity.
A report said about 70 rounds had targeted four Israeli planes.
While Lebanon`s Army publishes almost daily reports of Israeli violations of Lebanese air space, the military rarely opens fire unless the planes fly within range of its guns.
The Israeli infringements are a breach of UN Security Council Resolution 1701 which ended the devastating 2006 war between Israel and Lebanon`s Shi’ite militant group Hezbollah.
Israel argues that the overflights are necessary to monitor what it says is massive arms smuggling by Hezbollah in breach of the same resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly