Libyan PM wishes Gaddafi had not been killed
London: Libya`s Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril said in an interview with the BBC on Saturday he wished former dictator Muammar Gaddafi had not been killed and instead had been put on trial for his crimes.
Gaddafi`s body remained on public display in Libya on Saturday, bearing wounds assumed to have been inflicted by fighters who hauled him from a drain in his hometown Sirte.
"To be honest with you at the personal level I wish he was alive. I want to know why he did this to the Libyan people," the BBC quoted Jibril as saying in remarks made available ahead of broadcast early on Sunday.
"I wish I were his prosecutor in his trial, you know," he added. "Because this is the question which is in everybody`s mind: Why? Did the Libyan people deserve what he did throughout 42 years of oppression, of killing, of everything?"
UN Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay has called for an investigation of the killing. Asked whether he would conduct a full investigation and allow an international team to monitor it, Jibril said: "Yes, that would be absolutely okay with us you know, but for the body when it`s buried, you know, according to Islamic rule ... when it`s buried, it`s buried.”
"We got the coroner`s report, I saw the body myself. I can testify that there were no bruises on his face or on his body."
Jibril acknowledged there had been "some limited violations of human rights" in Libya`s revolution.
He also suggested Libya`s interim authorities might welcome continued support from NATO beyond the end of October, when it plans to conclude its air campaign.
"I don`t think there will be a need for that, but just in case," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday