Make kids skip ‘un-Islamic’ music lessons: Pak clerics to UK parents
London: Pakistani ‘imams’ visiting the country are forcing some British Muslim parents to not let their children attend ‘music lessons,’ as they claim that they are un-Islamic.
“A number of schools are allowing Muslim parents to pull their children out of classes, even though the subject is a formal part of the national curriculum,” The Telegraph quoted Dr Diana Harris, a lecturer at the Open University, as saying.
The paper says that Dr Diana, who is also the author of the book `Music Education and Muslims`, had visited schools where half of pupils were withdrawn from music during Ramadan.
By law, children are supposed to take part in all subjects and parents can only remove children from sex and religious education.
Earlier, 20 pupils were removed from rehearsals for a Christmas musical and a five-year-old girl has been permanently withdrawn from all classes, in a London primary school.
“There’s been about 18 or 22 children withdrawn from certain sessions, out of music class, but at the moment I just have one child who is withdrawn continually from the music curriculum,” Eileen Ross, head of Herbert Morrison Primary in Lambeth, where almost a third of children come from mainly Somalian Muslim families said.
“Majority of the parents are withdrawing their children because they had just learned that it wasn’t acceptable and one of the sources giving out that it is the feeling of the Imams who had come over from Pakistan, who didn’t really speak English and felt threatened” Dr Diana added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family