Malawi President dissolves Cabinet
Lilongwe: Malawi President Joyce Banda on Thursday evening announced the dissolution of her Cabinet amid reports of rampant fraud and corruption in her government.
The development follows multiple arrests of top and junior government officials who were caught with millions of dollars in their houses and cars, Xinhua reported.
The public opposition parties and civil society organisations have since the arrests called upon President Banda to either resign, or fire the finance minister and her chief secretary.
Upon her return from the UN General Assembly on Wednesday, President Banda told journalists in Blantyre that she would take appropriate measures after meeting Cabinet members on Thursday.
Unconfirmed reports indicate that some of President Banda`s former Cabinet ministers are involved in the fraud and corruption scandal that has left the country`s tax payers crying foul. Banda is expected to unveil a new Cabinet soon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket