Malawi President dissolves Cabinet
Lilongwe: Malawi President Joyce Banda on Thursday evening announced the dissolution of her Cabinet amid reports of rampant fraud and corruption in her government.
The development follows multiple arrests of top and junior government officials who were caught with millions of dollars in their houses and cars, Xinhua reported.
The public opposition parties and civil society organisations have since the arrests called upon President Banda to either resign, or fire the finance minister and her chief secretary.
Upon her return from the UN General Assembly on Wednesday, President Banda told journalists in Blantyre that she would take appropriate measures after meeting Cabinet members on Thursday.
Unconfirmed reports indicate that some of President Banda`s former Cabinet ministers are involved in the fraud and corruption scandal that has left the country`s tax payers crying foul. Banda is expected to unveil a new Cabinet soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand