Malawi President dissolves Cabinet
Lilongwe: Malawi President Joyce Banda on Thursday evening announced the dissolution of her Cabinet amid reports of rampant fraud and corruption in her government.
The development follows multiple arrests of top and junior government officials who were caught with millions of dollars in their houses and cars, Xinhua reported.
The public opposition parties and civil society organisations have since the arrests called upon President Banda to either resign, or fire the finance minister and her chief secretary.
Upon her return from the UN General Assembly on Wednesday, President Banda told journalists in Blantyre that she would take appropriate measures after meeting Cabinet members on Thursday.
Unconfirmed reports indicate that some of President Banda`s former Cabinet ministers are involved in the fraud and corruption scandal that has left the country`s tax payers crying foul. Banda is expected to unveil a new Cabinet soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report