Man in China detained for spreading radiation rumour
Shanghai: A man in China has been detained by police and slapped a fine of 500 yuan ($76) for spreading a rumour that radiation leaked from Japan has polluted the sea off the coast of eastern Shandong province.
The 31-year-old man, a computer company employee, had posted a hoax on a local online forum. It said that the radiation leaked from the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan had polluted the sea off the coast of eastern Shandong province.
He encouraged people to store salt and dried kelp, besides saying that they should try to avoid eating seafood for a year.
The post spread rapidly on the Internet and caused local residents to panic, said police.
The netizen surnamed Chen in Hangzhou of East China`s Zhejiang province, was sent to custody for 10 days and fined by the local police Sunday for spreading rumours online last Tuesday, China Daily reported.
Chen claimed he received the false information when chatting with a friend online.
In Shanghai, the local police said on Friday last week that two men will face prosecution for disseminating rumours that said the city will be severely contaminated by the nuclear leak in Japan, a Shanghai-based news portal reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues