Man nabbed in Mexico for threatening US lawmaker Tulsi Gabbard
Washington: A man who allegedly threatened first Hindu Congresswoman in US Tulsi Gabbard was arrested in Mexico, which turned him over to the US authorities on Thursday.
Aniruddha Sherbow, 42, was arrested on Wednesday in Tijuana by Baja California State Police pursuant to an arrest warrant issued in the Court for the District of Columbia, the FBI`s field office here said in a statement.
Sherbow was turned over to FBI agents at San Diego in California late Wednesday and is scheduled to have his initial court appearance in San Diego today, prior to his return to Washington to face the outstanding charge of transmission of threats in interstate commerce.
"The alleged threats occurred on August 1 and August 3, 2013, and were deemed credible," the FBI said in a statement.
According to media reports from Hawaii, from where Gabbard is a Congresswoman, Sherbow in 2011 was ordered by a local court to stay away from her.
The injunction was issued after Sherbow made a string of verbally abusive telephone calls and sent similar text messages to Gabbard.
According to Hawaii Reporter, on August 2, Sherbow wrote an email to FBI vowing to kill Gabbard.
"I, Aniruddha Sherbow, with the Divine as my witness, do hereby solemnly vow to find Tulsi Gabbard, whosesoever she may be, and to sever her head from her body," he wrote.
Sherbow told The Hawaii Reporter like Tulsi Gabbard he was also born "into the same obscure Western-Hindu tradition as Tulsi, the Hare Krishna Movement, also known as the Brahma Madhva-Gaudiya Sampradaya".
Gabbard, a former member of the Honolulu City Council, was elected to the US House of Representatives in 2012 and she was the first Hindu to ever serve as a member of the US Congress.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India