Man nabbed in Mexico for threatening US lawmaker Tulsi Gabbard
Washington: A man who allegedly threatened first Hindu Congresswoman in US Tulsi Gabbard was arrested in Mexico, which turned him over to the US authorities on Thursday.
Aniruddha Sherbow, 42, was arrested on Wednesday in Tijuana by Baja California State Police pursuant to an arrest warrant issued in the Court for the District of Columbia, the FBI`s field office here said in a statement.
Sherbow was turned over to FBI agents at San Diego in California late Wednesday and is scheduled to have his initial court appearance in San Diego today, prior to his return to Washington to face the outstanding charge of transmission of threats in interstate commerce.
"The alleged threats occurred on August 1 and August 3, 2013, and were deemed credible," the FBI said in a statement.
According to media reports from Hawaii, from where Gabbard is a Congresswoman, Sherbow in 2011 was ordered by a local court to stay away from her.
The injunction was issued after Sherbow made a string of verbally abusive telephone calls and sent similar text messages to Gabbard.
According to Hawaii Reporter, on August 2, Sherbow wrote an email to FBI vowing to kill Gabbard.
"I, Aniruddha Sherbow, with the Divine as my witness, do hereby solemnly vow to find Tulsi Gabbard, whosesoever she may be, and to sever her head from her body," he wrote.
Sherbow told The Hawaii Reporter like Tulsi Gabbard he was also born "into the same obscure Western-Hindu tradition as Tulsi, the Hare Krishna Movement, also known as the Brahma Madhva-Gaudiya Sampradaya".
Gabbard, a former member of the Honolulu City Council, was elected to the US House of Representatives in 2012 and she was the first Hindu to ever serve as a member of the US Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town