Man nabbed in Mexico for threatening US lawmaker Tulsi Gabbard
Washington: A man who allegedly threatened first Hindu Congresswoman in US Tulsi Gabbard was arrested in Mexico, which turned him over to the US authorities on Thursday.
Aniruddha Sherbow, 42, was arrested on Wednesday in Tijuana by Baja California State Police pursuant to an arrest warrant issued in the Court for the District of Columbia, the FBI`s field office here said in a statement.
Sherbow was turned over to FBI agents at San Diego in California late Wednesday and is scheduled to have his initial court appearance in San Diego today, prior to his return to Washington to face the outstanding charge of transmission of threats in interstate commerce.
"The alleged threats occurred on August 1 and August 3, 2013, and were deemed credible," the FBI said in a statement.
According to media reports from Hawaii, from where Gabbard is a Congresswoman, Sherbow in 2011 was ordered by a local court to stay away from her.
The injunction was issued after Sherbow made a string of verbally abusive telephone calls and sent similar text messages to Gabbard.
According to Hawaii Reporter, on August 2, Sherbow wrote an email to FBI vowing to kill Gabbard.
"I, Aniruddha Sherbow, with the Divine as my witness, do hereby solemnly vow to find Tulsi Gabbard, whosesoever she may be, and to sever her head from her body," he wrote.
Sherbow told The Hawaii Reporter like Tulsi Gabbard he was also born "into the same obscure Western-Hindu tradition as Tulsi, the Hare Krishna Movement, also known as the Brahma Madhva-Gaudiya Sampradaya".
Gabbard, a former member of the Honolulu City Council, was elected to the US House of Representatives in 2012 and she was the first Hindu to ever serve as a member of the US Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble